BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

All in the Family

In the past couple weeks since the concert I have been taking it nice and easy in preparation for some doctor visits (nothing serious but I might have some good news coming soon!) and have been trying to complete a couple of projects. My darling Uncle Bill will be getting married this October to a wonderful lady named Ying. She is an amazing chef and overall wonderful person who I am proud and excited to call my Aunt. They definitely don't need any of the typical nonsense wedding gifts and I can't afford to write them any sort of check that I feel they deserve so I decided to make them an album for their wedding and to really let loose. I am trying different styles and techniques that I've never used before. I'm even daring to go simple. They have such cool, eclectic, urban, traveled style that I wanted to really move away from the total glitter explosion that I'm used to.  I will be sharing my progress as soon as I can take some pictures. In the meantime I wanted to catch up on my most recent projects and highlight some techniques I used.

This page is a part of my on-going Disney album and features one of those Disney trips that we saved coins in coffee cans for. We had cashed in bottles and cans, got a coupon motel from the truck stop penny saver, ate packed snacks rather than park food and milked that trip for all it was worth. The one highlight was the splurge on my princess cone hat and my little sister's Daisy Duck hat with a bill that squeaked. Something I wanted to try out was using a simple 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper as a background. I also utilized some DCWV glitter paper to cut out the "Wishes" title with my cricut. This layout is true to my heavily glittered style but I really loved the pops of bright color. The pink tasseled border is by far my favorite piece in the layout and is part of the new gorgeous line of Jolee's Boutique embellishments and borders at Michael's.

This page is actually slightly older as can be told by the papers I used. They are from Webster's Pages and are absolutely beautiful. One thing I love about Webster's Pages is that they are so great to detail cut with a pen knife. For this layout I took two different 12 x 12 designs and used my x-acto knife to cut out the intricate pieces that frame the page and then layered one piece on top of the other using pop dots. I then tucked the Prima butterfly vine behind the top layer and secured it with some glue. I used K & Company Que Serra Serra grand adhesion butterfly stickers to add more dimension and then accented parts of it with Stickles (note the dark spots on the raspberries). The lettering is also from Webster's Pages. The photo matt is a scrap I had with punched corners.
This next page is another example of my Webster's pages hand cut and layering technique. I used a lot of die cut pieces from K & Company Que Sera Sera and a Prima bouquet. I love the Art Deco images of the flappers for this one and the peeks of gilt.  While not scrapping, I have been reading The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. Now I LOVE historical fiction and I LOVED The Other Boleyn Girl (also by Philippa Gregory) but I'm getting sick of every woman in historical fiction having some sort of magic powers, sight, or some other witchy qualities. Philippa Gregory is amazing with making history breathe and pulse but as soon as the heroine starts touting her descendence from a French water goddess, it ventures into tacky land. However, I am so excited that she is taking on the women of the War of the Roses and am looking forward to learning much from her in the upcoming books in this series. Her books are also fairly spicy without being raunchy.  I am only halfway through and am dragging through the magic spell this and that portions. But if that doesn't bore you then this is a worthwhile read. 
Well, until next time!

0 comments: